Sigma 10-20 to Sigma 8-16.... Would you, Could you, Should you?

Started Aug 7, 2010 | Discussions thread
Dan_168
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,763
Like?
Re: Sigma 10-20 to Sigma 8-16.... Would you, Could you, Should you?
In reply to CrewDog, Aug 13, 2010

CrewDog wrote:

Dan,

Thanks for the colorful commentary (pun intended) and also the rectilinear explanation.

Back on topic, I have experienced buyers remorse from the minute I pulled the trigger on the 10-22 since all indications are that the 8-16 is sharper and, of course wider. That said, I also look forward to trying shooting dramatically-lit landscapes like sunrises/sets where I'd enjoy the capability of a GND filter or perhaps a CP for some "pop"--that is, if I can compose a shot where the sky stays evenly saturated, so maybe not all the way out to 10mm.

My verdict is that I've got to give the 10-22 a try. I've read good things about it, too. Maybe one of these years, we'll all be shooting a 5DIV with a Canon 12-24mm f/2 L IS (I'm dreaming here...) but for now, I need a UWA, and no threads on the 8-16 was the deal breaker.

Edit: But maybe I should try a Sigma 8-16 before my two weeks runs out! Straight lines at 8mm sounds nice...

Ryan

yeah, you can't use any filer on the 8-16, unless you want to handhold it. have fun with the lens and good luck, report back how you like the lens, which ever you ended up with.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow