Started Aug 13, 2010 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Pete Berry
Senior MemberPosts: 2,082
Like?
G-2 will achieve AF-S WITH ALL OLY LENSES
Aug 13, 2010

Well, all zooms and primes but the exotic $2000 150mm f/2 SHG. And I think this is worth shouting for!

I found this by by pure serendipity, from the offhand report in another thread that the G2 will focus the 14-35mm-f/2 SHG. This grabbed my attention big time, as the lens certainly wasn't on the G-1/GH-1 list for AF-S. And so with a bit of a search, dug up the official Panasonic G-2 compatibility table that opens up a new game for effective AF with essentially all Olympus high quality lenses:

http://panasonic.jp/support/global/cs/dsc/connect/g2_g10.html

The truth is that AF function with the Oly Pens and the excellent Oly stable of 4/3 lenses is at best sluggish, and at worst almost intolerable as with the superb 50mm-f/2. Their best high performance HG (high grade) lenses such as the 12-60mm, 11-22, 7-14, 50-200 will not focus with the G-1 or GH-1. But the ones that do work, work better in Panny's m4/3 bodies with their development of a better contrast detection AF system.

What this means to me is not that I'm going to run out and get a G-2 - too many compromises, with the two year old sensor design clearly surpassed by the GH-1's. But rather that the GH-2 will undoubtedly have the same capabilities, and hopefully an even better hi-ISO performance. Who knows, maybe even a firmware update for the GH-1/G-1 for the same lens coverage AF??

I was just about to put my beautifully sharp Oly 50-200mm/EC-20 2x converter birding rig (400mm @ f/7) on the auction block, because my E-PL1 just won't focus it accurately - consistently coming up with enough front focus error to spoil critical sharpness. MF birding with my GH-1 was a lot more hassle and lost shots than I had thought, but beautiful results when spot-on. And the upcomming Panny 100-300mm remains an unknown quantity as far as top end IQ, but it will have OIS which the 50-200 lacks..

Interestingly, my little Pen will nail focus with my Panny-Leica 14-150 used with the 2x converter, in spite of being a stop and a third slower at 300mm-f/11, although at a longer time than the GH-1 takes to lock focus.

Pete

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow