Canon 1D IV CF and SD Card combo recommendations

Started Aug 6, 2010 | Discussions thread
Kevin Hollingworth
Forum MemberPosts: 68
Like?
Re: Canon 1D IV CF and SD Card combo recommendations
In reply to thenibster, Aug 11, 2010

Thanks Nik, exactly the info I was looking for.

thenibster wrote:

Hi Kevin,

I've been shooting with the Canon EOS 1D Mk IV and SanDisk cards since December. I've played around with a few different types of cards, but have only ever used 2 for work in this camera. I use the SanDisk ExtremePro CF (90Mbps), and the Extreme SDHC (30Mbps). I shoot RAW to CF, and full resolution & quality JPEG's to the SD. As I said, I have played around with other setups, including my old favourite cards, the SanDisk Extreme Ducati Edition, but there's a noticeable difference in performance.

This set up is great, as it's very quick - literally as quick as you can get on the market today. It also offers backup, dual cards.

Some posts have mentioned needing RAW on both cards, however I disagree. If you shoot RAW to booth cards, you will notice a huge performance drop (in buffer clearing), for only a tiny benefit. For example, the CF cards I use (ExtremePro) are very reliable, they just keep on going.

So the question is, 'Is it worth having a much smaller buffer, for every shot you take with the camera, to have a RAW backup for the 1 time a year you'll experience card failure?' To me no. I need the buffer space!

I didn't buy a camera which shoots at 10fps with a very large buffer, only to choke it by doubling the data going though it with every shot.

Sorry for the long winded response, but it helps!

Nick

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow