Should Olympus become a body-only manufacturer?

Started Aug 10, 2010 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
fraserhadden
Regular MemberPosts: 286
Like?
Should Olympus become a body-only manufacturer?
Aug 10, 2010

By this means, they could use a (35mm) FF sensor in a mirrorless body and then leave it up to the user, by the user's choice of lenses, to decide how much of the sensor to use.

The native mount for the all-purpose body could be standard 4/3 and a range of adaptors designed to allow fitting of other manufacturers' lenses with full communication 'twixt body and lens.

Those who don't PP would have to select the amount of sensor to be used to match the image circle of the affixed lens, but those who do PP could simply leave the camera on its 'FF' setting, put up with circular OOC images, and crop later.

This, I think, gets round the roadblock of a small-ish company having to redesign its lens line-up for an enlarged sensor - something most forum participants seem to view as unlikely.

I should say that I am delighted with my 2x E510s and dozen ZD lenses, but there is a future out there and Olympus needs to move towards it without hosing off yet another faithful band of users.

Fraser.

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow