ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
jonnyz2
Forum MemberPosts: 84
Like?
UWA, Anyone have both Sigma 8-16 and Nikon 10-24
Aug 10, 2010

Hi Everyone,

I've been reading lots of comments, posts, and lens reviews. After some consideration, I'd come close to choosing the Sigma 8-16 over the Tokina 11-16 for a UWA.

Why? I'm pretty sure that most of the time I won't need the extra 8-11; however, the extra sharpness and resistance to lens flare are both attractive to me. In addition, I expect that most of my shots will be tripod based and either landscape or architectural.

I'll be pairing whatever lens I choose with the Nikon 16-85. While both seem a good match, range wise, I've been thinking about how much lens switching might be needed given the limited range and rather special nature of both. This will be more inconvenient when traveling and managing lenses from a backpack.

So, I find myself wondering about the Nikon 10-24. It seems like that lens, everything else being equal (which it really isn't), would require less frequent lens changes and might be more versatile overall. While that's interesting, I like doing large prints; so, IQ is really important.

So, I've been searching for comparisons and have not been able to find any between the Sigma and the Nikon. Photozone, lens tip, and others have reviews of the Sigma on 15mp Canons; so, the measured resolving power will automatically be greater than on a D300. Therefore, while the Sigma appears in these reviews to be vastly superior in sharpness, I'm guessing that in reality they are much closer.

At any rate, what I'm wondering is if any of you own both or have used both enough to offer an assessment of the lenses on a Nikon camera. IQ at center, to the edges, flare resistance, etc.

Besides that, feel free to offer other advice as well.

Thanks in advance!

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow