Started Aug 10, 2010 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Jim Trainor
Regular MemberPosts: 266Gear list
Like?
TX5 in the Water
Aug 10, 2010

I've had my TX5 for about three months and have had it in a number of watery environments: snorkeling in Maui, kayaking in Canada, and frequently in the lakes around my home in Wisconsin. A few photos appear below. I am very pleased with this camera in many ways. It seems to be quite at home in the water, and I've grown accustomed to just letting the camera lie in the bottom of my kayak (where I can grab it quickly), not worrying about any water that may get splashed on it. This is one tough camera.

I do rinse the camera after every outing, gently in cool water as the manual suggests. I am careful to move the slider back and forth, wiping each time, until the front surface is dry. I have also been careful to avoid getting sunscreen and mosquito repellant on the camera -- not sure, but I suspect this could be bad news. So far, no issues with paint chipping. I also carry it attached to an Olympus floating strap (from B&H), which assures me that it will bob safely and easy to find should it go overboard.

Image quality is fine for a camera of ths type. I see some flare (I think it's flare) at the wide end in bright scenes, but I think this is expected for a 25mm lens. And sometimes contrast out of camera is a little low, but this is easily fixed in PP.

Jim Trainor's gear list:Jim Trainor's gear list
Sony RX100 II Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 17-35mm f/2.8D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR +1 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow