M9 Shot to be put on plaque, presented to WNBA star.

Started Aug 9, 2010 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
jammerbirdi_1
Contributing MemberPosts: 863
Like?
M9 Shot to be put on plaque, presented to WNBA star.
Aug 9, 2010

I USED to photograph women's basketball every game and with big DSLR gear, now I cover the Los Angeles Sparks of the WNBA as a reporter. But I still, thanks to the Leica M9, carry a camera to grab shots for my articles.

Well, last night Tina Thompson needed just 12 points to surpass Lisa Leslie as the league's all time leader in points scored. So I maneuvered myself as the appropriate moment approached, on the opposite side of the basket as all of the other photographers, (this is key to my story) and waited with my M9 and 50 Cron.

Didn't have to wait long as Tina scored 13 points in the third quarter and just like that she was standing right in front of me to take the quick jumper that set the record. I just lifted the camera up and well, you know what they say? (okay, I'm having too much fun with this.)

Came home, wrote and published my piece with the image.

http://www.sportspagemagazine.com/content/bb/wp-bb/art-wp-bb/thompson-sets-record-sparks-lose-ground-in-west.shtml?41358

Woke up with an email from the Los Angeles Sparks that said that summinagun, Summicron, turns out nobody got a clean shot of the moment except ME, and the Sparks want a hi-res, they're going to put my M9 image on a plaque and present it to Tina Thompson.

USC did this with one of my shots a few years ago and presented it to a graduating senior, but Tina has been a favorite since day one of the league so it's a real special honor for me.

Extra photographers on hand because this was a big deal to the WNBA. The NBA/Getty photog who shoots the Lakers was there. AP photog too. LA Times photog. Half dozen others. All, of course, with the hulking Nikon and Canon DSLRs and giant pro-glass.

But who gets the shot when it counts? That's right. Your jammer and his Leica. But remember kids, you can't shoot sports with a Leica rangefinder. lol!

Not the sharpest puppy I've ever taken, but it'll make a good print.

Not really the end of the story. This is the third time I got an exclusive important image in the women's basketball world.

Again last year, only bringing a camera to the arena to grab a shot for my article, I moved down to the floor, the only photographer to move to the Sparks basket side of the floor, and caught the retiring Lisa Leslie's LAST made basket and points of her long and distinguished career. Just another 50mm shot (D3) that's cropped, but it's an exclusive.

None of these are great shots or represent my own standards and desires for quality that I think I was able to achieve during my years shooting women's ball, but sometimes it's just getting the shot that counts.

Here's a favorite from last year. D3 w/ 85 1.4 (at 1.4!) A little soft but still representative of that incredible piece of glass.

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow