Sigma 10-20 to Sigma 8-16.... Would you, Could you, Should you?

Started Aug 7, 2010 | Discussions thread
LSHorwitz1
Senior MemberPosts: 2,085Gear list
Like?
Re: Sigma 10-20 to Sigma 8-16.... Would you, Could you, Should you?
In reply to jrarsenault, Aug 9, 2010

jrarsenault wrote:

Thanks LSHorwitz1 for your comments and photo. That photo looks quite sharp and vibrant.... I can see why you're happy with this lens.

I've read comments in another forum which stated that if you were to buy this lens (I'm seriously considering it), then you would miss the extra "mm" at the long end. Since this lens only goes to 16 mm, are any of you finding this comment to be relevant? I guess not so for those upgrading/switching from the Tokina, but for those who are switching from Canon or other Sigma's..... any comment?

I think there is some truth to the opinion that the "tele" end of the Sigma lens may not reach far enough, but this depends entirely on how you intend to use the lens and also heavily depends on what other lenses you own.

In my case, I already had a 15-85 (Canon) which I carry and use as my "walk-around" lens, and I personally consider the Sigma mostly as a specialty lens exclusively for ultra-wide use. I don't walk around with the 8-16 on the camera in most situations, although I certainly would consider it if I were doing some outdoor landscape work, indoor group photos in tight quarters, etc.

I found with my Tokina 12-24 that I virtually NEVER used it at the more "tele" settings above maybe 16 or 18 mm once I got the 15-85 Canon. Even when I only owned the kit lens from 18-55, the Tokina was mostly put into service below 18 despite reaching from 18-22 and thus overlapping my kit lens.

I view the ultra-wide as having pretty special handling requirements, owing to the way UWA lenses behave in changing perspective. I know that once I put it on my camera I need to use a careful combination of pointing and leveling, and really enjoy getting the benefit of this ultra-ultra-wide 8 mm point of view. I have owned literally dozens of cameras, perhaps over 100, since the 1950's, and I have NEVER seen such a unique and impressive lens in terms of coverage. There really is nothing else like it on the market, and as I said in some earlier posts when I bought the lens on the very first day it became available and began shooting with it: "Sigma hit a home run with this lens. It is utterly awesome". These are not words you normally hear from this gray-haired grand-father........

Larry

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow