Question: How sensor size affects camera size?

Started Aug 8, 2010 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Diffuser
New MemberPosts: 8
Like?
Question: How sensor size affects camera size?
Aug 8, 2010

Hi all,

I've read that optics and packaging limits the sensor size that can be fitted into a camera of a given size. For point and shoot cameras, for example, I've read that they have small sensors because they cannot fit larger sensors in such a small space. With super-zoom lenses like 10X or 12X, the sensor has to be even smaller to work within the space available.

The Sony NEX-3/5, for example, has a tiny body but a huge lens necessary because it has a APS-C sized sensor. Yet I've read that Leica's cameras, like M9 the have sensors that are even larger than the Sony NEX cameras, yet they appear to be smaller and don't require such large lenses. Another example is is the Leica X1 which has a APS-C sensor and it looks far more compact than even the NEX cameras.

Is this solely an issue of cost (I know Leica's are way expensive), or is it also related to design/packaging limitations? Can someone explain this? I'm trying to understand the designs of cameras better.

Thanks!!

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow