Sigma 10-20 to Sigma 8-16.... Would you, Could you, Should you?

Started Aug 7, 2010 | Discussions thread
Paul De Bra
Forum ProPosts: 11,278Gear list
Like?
Big difference, but that's true on both ends.
In reply to jrarsenault, Aug 8, 2010

I don't have the Sigma 8-16 (nor will I get one). I did go from the Tokina 12-24 to the Canon 10-22 and the 2mm on the wide end makes a big difference. Between 10 and 8 it must be even bigger. (You don't need the lens to know, you only need to know math.) However, the difference at the long end is also large. 16mm means you can only use the lens for really wide shots. The lens is not usable as a walkaround lens. 20mm is getting much closer to normal. We just went to an open air museum (buildings, interiors, crafts) and I started out with the 17-55IS, thinking I would maybe do most with this fantastic lens. I took a few pictures and then switched to the 10-22 and used it for 90% of the pictures of the day. About 1/3 of the pictures of the entire day were between 17 and 22mm. You should check how many pictures you take between 17 and 20mm to know whether you will miss the long end.

-- hide signature --

Slowly learning to use the 450D, the Canon G6 and the Fuji F200.
Public pictures at http://debra.zenfolio.com/ .

Paul De Bra's gear list:Paul De Bra's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F200EXR Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow