E-PL1 Super Fine JPEG

Started Aug 2, 2010 | Discussions thread
djst
Regular MemberPosts: 217Gear list
Like?
Re: Same as on older Olys
In reply to Guy Parsons, Aug 7, 2010

Guy Parsons wrote:

It's the same story as the older Oly DSLR. Back in year dot with the E-300 I took a random RAW shot then did in-camera jpeg development for SHQ and HQ and lesser files.

Then using an edit program subtracted the HQ image from the SHQ image to see how many pixels were different - only a scattered few. Never ever see the difference on any print or with eyeball popping pixel peeping, so I dumped using SHQ and stuck with HQ, which is renamed it seems now but same story, the super duper jpeg is just not necessary except for people who miss tiff files and like 'em big.

Regards...... Guy

I think this makes sense and seems to match my own observations. Personally, I've never seen any traces of jpeg artifacts as a result of saving in "HQ" in my E-P1 and I much prefer the convenience of small files. In fact, I still get by with my old 1 GB card and can take almost 400 photos using it! Also, uploading images to Flickr, Facebook, etc is just so much more convenient when the average file size is 2 MB instead of 4-5 MB.

-- hide signature --

David Tenser
My camera equipment: http://djst.org/camera/

djst's gear list:djst's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PM1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow