Started Aug 6, 2010 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Forrest
Forum ProPosts: 14,666
Like?
Water damage to 5D. What to do?
Aug 6, 2010

I spent a week camping in the North Cascades, and had some volatile weather. I started hiking up a mountainside on a sunny morning, took some photos at a stream crossing, and pretty soon I was in a thunderstorm. I put the camera in my backpack when I felt the first drops of rain, and it seemed in good shape at the time - it had been working moments ago. My trail turned into a river bed. When I got to the road, the inside of my pack was dry, but the camera was dead.

The inside of the back screen fogged over; it spent an hour or so in front of the car's heater, and dried out. Surely, the rest of the innards got wet or moist, too. I pulled the battery and CF card and let everything dry over night. The next day, I put the battery back in to see where things stood. The back LCD doesn't work at all; the top one shoes an exposure time, but no aperture. It won't make exposures. Back at home, it won't connect with the computer, either.

Is there any hope?

The local camera shop says they can send it in to Canon, who doesn't like fixing water damaged cameras, and charges an arm and a leg so they won't have to...? A repair shop says they can look at it next week, and to keep it in the fridge in a sealed bag until then to prevent corrosion - is this a good idea? Might leaving it in front of a fan with no lens and the battery & CF compartments open help anything? Did I kill it when I powered it on the first time?

In other news, I got a Gitzo 2542 L for this trip so I wouldn't have to carry a 10 lbs Manfrotto up the sides of mountains any more. Oh, the disappointing irony.

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow