Started Aug 6, 2010 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
gscotten
Regular MemberPosts: 448
Like?
Denoise 5 questions
Aug 6, 2010

After seeing Mailman88's Topaz Denoise5 results here: http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1006&thread=35957155 I downloaded the trial and started with his source file to attempt to duplicate his results. I can't come close. I can achieve similar noise reduction, but then I lose the detail. Even trying every sharpening trick I know afterwards I can't get those results. I know I am not up to the caliber of the top retouchers on this forum, so I was hoping someone could give me some guidance. I asked Mailman on the original thread, but that thread has been sidetracked and he never explained how he achieved his results.

Denoise5 does seem to be as good as (or better than) Noiseware or Colormancer, which are my regular tools. More expensive, though....

Also, I was surprised by the banding in the noise on his original 50D image. I went back and looked at some of my high ISO images (Canon T2i and S5is) and my noise was always random. I had heard about banding problems, but always thought it was the result of denoising algorithms instead of from the sensor. I haven't seen mention of banding problems in any of the camera reviews. Comments?

Thanks,
George

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow