Wildlife photography spots in the Southwest (USA)

Started Jul 25, 2010 | Discussions thread
travelshots_dpr
Regular MemberPosts: 216Gear list
Like?
Re: Don't even think about doing that!
In reply to Flying Fish, Aug 6, 2010

Thank you all for your input and the images! I have still a lot of work to do so it took some time again until I could answer.

@ J A K

Maybe I will drive to Bryce Canyon via Cedar Breaks and have just a 10 minutes photo stop at Cedar Breaks without any hikes. I really like the view on Cedar Breaks pano #4! If I am lucky I can be at Red Canyon before sunset on the same way.

I like both landscape and wildlife photography. I have been to Grand Tetons, Yellowstone and Glacier NP 2 years ago and enjoyed scenery and wildlife very much. The background for my question was that from my first visit to the Southwest in 1996 I had the impression, that wildlife in this regison is not so frequent (except of ravens, squirrels and deers) and that therefore it would be important where and what to look for.

@Ricky B and Flying Fish

Thank you for your warnings about the Grand Canyon hike. I take that seriously. I have now applied for a reservation at Phantom Ranch and in a few days I will know if it was successful. If not, I will do just some short hikes. I had the idea about doing a loop walk consisting of a part of South Kaibab Trail, Tonto Trail for connection to Bright Angel Trail and a part of Bright Angel trail. That would cut of quite a bit of elevation but the way would be still very long. Hence, this would not be a good option too.

Alternatively I might just walk down to Skeleton Point and return. But the favourtie option is walking down slowly and staying overnight at Phantom Ranch. 20 years ago I have been on the Emei Shan mountain (elevation more than 3000m/9600ft) in China. It had a monastry on top where I sayed overnight. I drove up a part and walked the rest, but walked down the whole way. The way consisted completely of stairs! I wanted to catch a bus and walked fast / jumped the stairs. Everything was fine but the next days I had to pay the bill. I nearly couldn't walk for a week afterwards. My muscles were damaged and walking was extremely painful.

I have now added a new site to my vacation route. The Coyote Gulch in the Glen Canyon area. It's a longer drive on an unpaved road and not the easiest hike, but the images I have seen look marvelous. Unfortunately, I had to cut off one day of my stay in southern Arizona for that.

travelshots_dpr's gear list:travelshots_dpr's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 Sony SLT-A77 Sony SLT-A99 Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM +15 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow