Sigma 70-200 f2.8 or Canon 70-200 f4 IS for 7d?

Started Aug 4, 2010 | Discussions thread
Habemus_Canon
Senior MemberPosts: 2,437Gear list
Like?
Re: Sigma 70-200 f2.8 or Canon 70-200 f4 IS for 7d?
In reply to Sethboy, Aug 5, 2010

Sethboy wrote:

@ Habemus_Canon -- I assume you are using the older Sigma, how do you like it? Any issues that you think will make the price tag of the new model Sigma worth it compared to buying the older model??

I have the newest non-OS version -- the 70-200mm f/2.8 II APO EX DG Macro as Sigma calls it. I thought about waiting for the OS version (at indeed twice the price -- I got my non-OS from Amazon in March for $765 with free shipping and no sales tax and that included a lens hood, tripod collar, and padded storage/travel case). I ultimately decided that for my purposes (low-light high-school sports) I wouldn't need the OS anyway as I needed the extra speed to freeze the motion of the sports action. OS would not help any for that.

The only problem I've had was focus failure in live view mode. But I don't use live view mode with this lens as it takes too long for sports. But that is all moot with firmware v1.2.2 which cured that problem completely! I don't know why but as a side effect of whatever they did it fixed the live view focus problem. I haven't used it as much over the summer as I did in the spring but as soon as school starts back I'll be using it a lot more and will report more on it.

Habemus_Canon's gear list:Habemus_Canon's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 (2000) Canon PowerShot SD600 Canon PowerShot S90 Canon EOS 350D Canon EOS 7D +14 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow