Why are m4/3 lenses not smaller than FF lenses?

Started Aug 4, 2010 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
J R R S
Senior MemberPosts: 1,336
Like?
Why are m4/3 lenses not smaller than FF lenses?
Aug 4, 2010

So I got my EP1 and its kit zoom and it is nice and sharp, got a usefull range, nice macro ability and is just (well not quite but close) about fast enough for most situations... and don't get me wrong it is small for an SLR level camera and I take it everywear in a converted superzoom case....

But why is it [the lens] the same diameter as my 35mm F2 FF OM lens? - I mean come on thats F2 and FF..... I would at least expect it to be about 3/4 the diameter.... and the glass at the front of the kit zoom is only about 50% of the frontal surface area???

For this size (diameter) lens and if they used all the front for glass I would expect it to be a fair bit faster... mmmm dreaming of F2

I know the kit is a (retracting) zoom and has auto focus but still, could the m4/3 not be smaller I don't feel the camera loses any size advantage when I shoot with f1.4 - f2.8 OM primes... I'm shaw they could shave a bit off no?

I know the pana 20mm prime is alot smaller but I don't think its much narrower? or is it? - and again it seems to have more plastic surround than glass at the front - where as my old OMs are more glass than surround.... what gives? and if it was all glass up front how much awsome would that pack?

Cheers

P.S. if you are intrested to see some lens samples the last pic in my gallery has a sample test of all my OMs and a few other lenses in 1 massive image - open this as original full size as its about 3 montiors wide

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow