Full frame cameras have less DOF than 35mm film.

Started Aug 2, 2010 | Discussions thread
Joergen Geerds
Senior MemberPosts: 1,758
Like?
Re: mental gymnastics
In reply to Scott Larson, Aug 4, 2010

Scott Larson wrote:

No, the article clearly states that digital has narrower depth of field than film in the same format, in this case the APS-C sensor in the Red and a 35mm film motion picture frame.

I still think that either somebody is overthinking the issue, or is seeing things that is hard for others to see.

first and foremost, it would have had been nice of you to actually include a link to the article you mentioned.

secondly, I think this is more a lens issue than a film/sensor issue.

while the general theory of DoF talks about the volume of space that is recorded with "acceptable" sharpness onto the medium at any given f-stop and focal length (circle of confusion etc), I found in my experience that each lens follows it's own rules when it comes to the "edge" of the DoF, some lenses have a very gradual transition from acceptable sharp to bokeh, while other lenses have only a very small transition. some lenses have a larger than theory DoF (i.e. zeiss wide-angle 3D look), some have a much smaller than theory DoF (i.e. some tamron). micro-contrast rendering of the glass also affects the "apparent sharpness". basically every glass is different, that's why we have so much variety to choose from.

my un-educated guess is that the red lenses he was comparing to his film lenses simply have a very harsh transition area, and that he might not be able to translate the DoF he was used to. and other factors, like analog view finder vs HD control monitor etc...

It follows that the same should be true of still 35mm film and full frame sensors.

not true in my opinion, see above.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow