Started Aug 4, 2010 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Bohdan
Senior MemberPosts: 1,122
Like?
Tour promotional poster....what to charge
Aug 4, 2010

I shoot a lot of concerts for my own pleasure and only started to get serious about it this year. Hoping to get my name out there.

I've been contacted by one of the groups I recently shot at the Montreal Jazz Festival asking for some images to be used on their poster for an upcoming European Tour concert.

I really do not have any idea what I should charge. It will be a one time, single use license, poster only. Any sales from the poster I am going to negotiate a seperate usage contract. The poster, as I understand it, is going to be used for the venues, promoting the group tour dates. They are printing 2000 of them to be sent to the promotors ahead of time to display at the venue, telephone poles... that type of usage.

They think they will need between 1-3 images for the poster. It will be 24 x 36. I am keeping control of all editing and will send their poster designer the final image(s). They can resize only.

So, I have asked for $100 + credit on the posters + 5 posters. This is not a major act, but is known internationally and plays clubs and festivals. Oh, I know $100 is insanely low by any standard one wishes to use. It is really of a symbolic charge. I shoot for my own enjoyment, although I have become more serious this year, in terms of getting my images out, and hopefully, leading to more opportunities. I look at this particular promotional poster as a credit on my bio, and not the money.

If for resale, I need some actual numbers as far as what pricing range is fairly normal. Charge a flat rate per copy (based on the print run) , or a per copy based on % of estimated selling price.... etc. I don't have an idea. I need to get my head around some numbers.

Any thoughts.

-- hide signature --

I may be, and probably am, completely wrong.

http://www.bwkphotography.com

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow