Started Aug 2, 2010 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
abatterbury
New MemberPosts: 17
Like?
Starting the process
Aug 2, 2010

Cheers to that authors of the many useful posts I've read in the last couple days! Yesterday I upgraded from an 80's Nikon SLR and a point-and-shoot digital and now am the proud owner of a Oly E-LP1 and I have a Panasonic 20mm lens coming in the mail. Not the most productive work day I've ever had

To business - I have the gear, I know the basics of camera operation, so would you all be so kind as to point me to some resources on how to learn to take better photos? I'm particularly interested in the process, i.e. how do I structure my learning so that I'm effective, as opposed to just taking photos and toggling settings.

To draw a comparison, when I taught myself to play guitar I got a lot more from working on technique than from just repeating a song until it sounded right.

How do you go about doing that with a camera? I'm sure there are good sites online and books (and classes), but I've mostly found specific descriptions of things, such as how you control depth of field. Important and interesting, but not exactly what an aspiring photographer needs.

Thanks much
--AA

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow