Started Jul 30, 2010 | Discussions thread
tbcass
Forum ProPosts: 17,133Gear list
Like?
Re: A possible generational perspective on things
In reply to WaltKnapp, Aug 2, 2010

WaltKnapp wrote:

3sgilbert wrote:

I am one of those people, could someone explain it to me? So an a850 with a 500mm lens can crop down to the same zoom level ( or MM equivalent ) and retain the same detail as a canon 7d 18mp APS-C starting at 700mm before cropping? I really dont understand this which is why I am asking

It gets thrown out the window as soon as the pixel density of the two types is different. Which has always been the case in Sony DSLRs. The FF can only duplicate the APS frame if the two have exactly the same pixel density. Otherwise it cannot.

This is only partially true. At base iso the pixel density advantage of FF is not enough to compensate, at least as far as I've been able to see. As one moves up the iso scale then what you say is very true however you still have to go through the trouble of cropping the image afterwords to achieve your goal..

-- hide signature --

Tom

Look at the picture, not the pixels

http://www.flickr.com/photos/25301400@N00/

tbcass's gear list:tbcass's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony SLT-A77 Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di USD +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow