Started Jun 6, 2010 | Discussions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
Class A
Regular MemberPosts: 142Gear list
Like?
Re: 21MP could be a good thing
In reply to Model Mike, Aug 2, 2010

Model Mike wrote:

The other argument trotted out in favour of high MP levels is that you can crop to your heart's content. I've never been totally convinced by this - I find on my K-x that lens sharpness becomes more of an issue when cropping.

It depends on the lens. There are lenses which can take a lot of cropping.

And cropping beats any teleconverter out there. I'm with you in as much as I have given up on the idea of using teleconverters. The combination of stressing the lens performance + degradation from the teleconverter usually results in an image that isn't very appealing. Cropping at least removes one part of this problem.

Also, though more computation intensive, using more source pixels to arrive at the same output size, often results in more fine-grained noise and better acuteness.

In any event, there is no need to "fear" a 21MP sensor. I trust the sources who have announced a 16MP sensor (Sony, not Samsung, Yay!).

Class A's gear list:Class A's gear list
Pentax K-5 II Pentax smc FA 31mm F1.8 AL Limited Pentax smc FA 43mm F1.9 Limited Pentax smc FA 77mm 1.8 Limited
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
????New
MikeNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow