ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Builder
Contributing MemberPosts: 921
Like?
Have to replace CS3 - what to get?
Jul 29, 2010

Hi all,

After all my gear got stolen, I bought a new Nikon D300s. I currently use Lightroom 2 and Photoshop CS3 on a Mac.

It looks like Adobe doesn't support the NEF image format from this camera in the Camera Raw plugin for CS3, so I'm forced to move my software if I don't want to have to create and work with large TIFF files. I could really use some advice on what to do.

I use Lightroom for the bulk of the 'developing' and cataloging work. I'll adjust things like sharpness, exposure, contrast, cropping and straightening and maybe do a little bit of curve work in Lightroom. I then used to export to Photoshop CS3 for the rest.

By 'the rest', I mean the following:

• Cloning out of issues

• Some curves

• On the odd occasion, some dodging and burning

• Whitening teeth and smoothing skin

I very rarely use layers (only when following some instructions from Photoshop for Photographers).

Do I need to upgrade to CS5, or could I get away with Elements? Also, can I 'upgrade' from CS3 to elements 8, or do I have to buy a full copy of elements 8?

Alternatively, I could jump across to something like Pixelmator, but I'd have to learn it from scratch whereas I currently know a little bit about photoshop.

Any thoughts or advice would be much appreciated.

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow