Started Jul 28, 2010 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
sweetsonic
Regular MemberPosts: 349
Like?
Opinion: The high-end glass that you can't do without and why
Jul 28, 2010

Many of us amateurs work on a fixed budget and typically aren't dropping $2000+ on lenses for our DSLR's. While others are bragging about the capabilities of their 70-200 f/2.8 VR II, I'm seeing if I can scrap together enough cash for the 70-300 f/4.5-5.6 VR.

So I'll phrase the question in two ways. For all the poor photographers out there in my situation, if you could afford just 1 high-end piece of glass - lets say in the $1000+ range - which one would you get? And for all those photographers with cash on the side who own some of these high-end lenses, if you could only keep one, which one would it be?

In my limited research, it seems like there are generally 3 favored professional lenses: the 14-24mm f/2.8G ED, the 70-200 f/2.8 VR II, and the 24-70mm f/2.8G ED. Of course, there's a lot of room for argument there, but these three seem to be extremely popular (and more reasonable than say, the 200-400mm f/4G IF-ED @ $7000 or some of the real expensive primes). I would probably pick one of these.

Obviously answers will depend on what kind of photographer you are and a number of other factors - i understand that. Just tell me which one and why...have fun with it!

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow