Advice needed for DIY weatherproofing (possible silly questions inside !)

Started Jul 27, 2010 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
olivier52
Regular MemberPosts: 217Gear list
Like?
Advice needed for DIY weatherproofing (possible silly questions inside !)
Jul 27, 2010

Hi all,

I am looking for advice here.

I currently have a K100D, a K20D and various lens (none WR). I will soon be on holidays near the see and was wondering how to protect my lens from the sand/salt/water while shooting on the beach or simply if shooting outside while raining.

My 18-55 II serves me as walk-around lens.
I have contemplated buying a WR walk-around lens but :
16-50 is too expensive (840 Euros),
17-70 is only half-sealed,

18-55WR is also too expensive (200 Euros) considering that I already own a 18-55 II and that I could buy a tamron 17-50/2.8 for 300 Euros instead (I would rather buy the Tamron, gain in IQ and protect it myself in any way than buying the 18-55WR).

So my only solution seems to be in a DIY weatherproofing.

I only have some cokin P filters so thought that buying some UV screw-on filters for my lens would be a good thing.

Beside protecting the front element, I was wondering how I should precisely try to position my DIY-WeatherProof-System (read plastic bag). Could any of you help me on this ? Any alternative to a plastic bag ?

Here are some more precise questions :

• That may look silly but should I try to cut of a roughly round shape off the plastic bag and try to attach it to the lens using the hood ?

• If using the K20D, would that be any easier (and any more efficient) to try only to cover the lens instead of body+lens ?

An shared experience and advice would be much much appreciated !

Thanks in advance,

Olivier

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow