Started Jul 26, 2010 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
PeterK
Contributing MemberPosts: 874
Like?
Advice for beach portrait lighting
Jul 26, 2010

I am shooting a couple of families at the beach in about a week from now.

I'll have subjects at the beach about 90 mins before sunset to catch the golden hour.

I am using a 40D and a 20D with three lenses. 24-105, 10-22, and the 85 1.8. I also have a nifty fifty, but the af has not been reliable enough for me to be very comfortable using this lens.

I think I won't need to go below 24mm for even the largest group, so the 10-22 probably won't be used.

1) Would you suggest flash or reflectors for fill ? For backlit and side lit shots.

2) Modifier to soften the flash?

I have 580 EXII and 580 Ex and 6-8 ft light weight stands with Pocket wizards, and ext battery packs for the 580's. (Also a Stroboframe bracket).

I have medium (36" ?) and large (60") collapsible reflectors I can bring. Also, a homemade art foam bouncer that attaches directly to the flash units, about 8" square, but I don't see that this will make the light source significantly larger.

-- hide signature --

I'm working solo, so I don't want to have a lot to lug around if we move around the beach. One of the Moms (will not be in the pictures) is a friend, so she could help, but I'd rather a solo setup.

3) Which lens on which camera? Leaning towards the 24-105 on the 40D, for higher res group shots, and the 85 on the 20D for head / head & shoulders shots. Then either can be printed large without fear.

Peter

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow