Who manufactures the most reliable lens mount?

Started Jul 26, 2010 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
zzapamiga
Regular MemberPosts: 497
Like?
Who manufactures the most reliable lens mount?
Jul 26, 2010

I am interested to hear from anyone who has technical knowledge regarding lens mount manufacturing, when comparing various lens mounts from different companies, who produces the most reliable lens mount?

It is my understanding that the larger the diameter of the mount and the smaller the flange the focal distance the easier it is to design lenses for that camera. With DSLR cameras that would seem to be the Canon EF mount and with mirrorless mounts that would seem to be the Sony F (NEX) mount. All the modern mounts from Canon EF and newer appear to be fully electronic. I believe some of the older mounts, Nikon F, Sony A and Pentax K mechanically control the aperture and include a screw drive.

Also is a fully electronic mount (Canon EF) more reliable than a mount that mechanically controls the aperture (Nikon F, Sony A and Pentax K)?

I have listed many digital camera mounts below and their physical dimensions:

http://wapedia.mobi/en/lens_mount

Sony A lens mount (Mount diameter 49.7mm - Flange to focal plane distance 44.5mm)

Sony E lens mount (Mount diameter 46.1mm - Flange to focal plane distance 18mm)

Canon EF lens mount (Mount diameter 54mm - flange to focal plane distance 44mm)

Leica M lens mount (Mount diameter 44mm - flange to focal plane distance 27.8mm)

Nikon F lens mount (Mount diameter 44mm - flange to focal plane distance 46.5mm)

Olympus Four Thirds lens mount (Mount diameter 44mm - flange to focal plane distance 38.67mm)

Olympus Micro Four Thirds lens mount (Mount diameter 38mm - flange to focal plane distance 20mm)

Pentax KAF2 lens mount (Flange to focal plane distance 45.5mm)

Samsung NX lens mount (Mount diameter 42mm - flange to focal plane distance 25.5mm)

Sigma SA lens mount (Flange to focal plane distance 44mm)

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow