Started Jul 26, 2010 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Backdoctor
Forum ProPosts: 13,900
Like?
Recent trip to Napa wine country
Jul 26, 2010

Last month my girlfriend Mindy and I spent 5 and a half days in the Napa area, stayng in Calistoga. It had been a year and a half since our last visit. I spent over a month arranging a schedule where we ended up hitting around 27 wineries as well as a day trip to Sacramento to the Old Town area. We went to many off the beaten path places, some that dont offer tours or tastings. I am still working on photos a month later, but here are some highlights. Most shot with my D300 and 17-55, with and without the SB800. All are handheld:

We started at Shafer, known for their Hillside Select Cabernet Sauvignon:

They give a very formal tasting, 6 wines including the Hillside Select ( a $225 bottle of wine):

This is a barn from the 1800's that was relocated to Nicke&Nickel:

I was lucky enough to be invited for a tour and tasting at Dunn Vineyards. They make some exceptional Cabernet Sauvignon on Howell Mountain. Kristina Dunn took us around for 2 hours and opened 4 vintages, including a 1998. I had to buy one of those. Here Kristina is giving us a barrel tasting in the caves:

While on Howell Mountain we went further up to 2400ft and visited Black Sears Estate. Chris was kind enough to take time from his day to show us around and share some wine:

Power went out in Angwin so we had to improvise to keep on schedule at O'Shaughnessy Winery:

We then went to Cade, where the view was breathtaking:

And the wine was excellent:

Went to Gary Farrell, and had to stop and take this on the way down:

Ramey certainly offers up a lot of wine for tasting:

Took a train ride in Sacramento, had to have the ticket punched:

Some tastings were less formal, like this one at a farm house in Calistoga where she makes 145 cases of a superb cabernet:

Here is Chateau Montelena, where they filmed parts of Bottleshock:

We went to Hall Rutherford for the tour/tasting. What a place:

More to pp, but this is a sampling....

-- hide signature --

Harris

PBase/DPReview/NTF supporter
Egret Stalker #4, WSSA #29

http://www.pbase.com/backdoctor

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow