Started Jul 25, 2010 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
tyroiii
Regular MemberPosts: 106Gear list
Like?
G2 settings for kids
Jul 25, 2010

I just picked up a G2 with the 14-42 and 45-200. I am planning on using it as a light alternative to my d700 totals pictures of my 20 month old twins. I've only had the camera for about 1 week, but some observations that is bothering me. Hopefully, there suggestions on how to change the setting to help. Overall, the image quality seems to be there, but the camera seems a bit sluggish.

Here's my observations.

1) shutter lag is pretty bad and seems to be get worse in bad lighting. Is there anything I can do to speed this up?

2) Autofocus is bad in low light. It does help when my hands keep blocking the light. It's almost the camera is designed for one handed operations.

3) I like to keep adjust the aperture and shutter and let the camera adjust the iso. This is not possible as auto iso doesn't seem to work in M mode. In A mode, the shutter speed (max 1/100) isn't high enough. Especially to prevent motion blur with kids.

4) Aside from weight, if I mount a 28-200 on the D700, I do not see an advantage of the g2 2 lens package in terms f convenience. Would the 14-140 be a better option?

5) I can't seem to find a flash with bounce as compact as the sb400. With the iso performance, you need a flash in most indoor situations. For mobile kids at least.

6) package seems to work really well outdoors in good light.

I'm really hoping to make this work as the kids get more mobile. I need to cut down on what I carry. And of course video helps, since I don't need to bring a separate camcorder.

tyroiii's gear list:tyroiii's gear list
Olympus E-M1
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow