Started Jul 24, 2010 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Dale Garman
Regular MemberPosts: 373Gear list
Like?
Epson 3880 vs Canon 9500
Jul 24, 2010

I have had the Canon 9500 for about 9 months and struggled trying to get paper profiles and paper to give good results with either fine art or matte paper. I even had two custom sets of proiles made. I have gone through a lot of ink and paper experimenting and was just not happy with the colors or the detail in the darker areas. I got the closest with Canon Fine Art Rag, but with the Canon settings it requires an additional 35mm margin on each end which really makes the paper expensive. I never found a normal less expensive matte paper that really worked. Red River Polar Matte came the closest. Yes my monitor is profiled and yes I let PS control the color.

When I finally figured out the cost difference for ink (small expensive cartridges for Canon) and the cost of the rag paper vs. the Epson Ultra Premium Matte it became clear it would be cheaper to scrap the Canon. So today I got the Epson and Wow what a printer. I set it up and from the very first picture out of the box with the less expensive matte paper the results were significantly superior to anything from the Canon. The colors were richer, the tones were spot on, the blacks were richer, and the detail in the darker areas was fianally revealed. So I went on a printing spree and reprinted 10 pictures I had recently printed and framed from the Canon and replaced them all. The difference was significant on almost every picture. I just can't believe the difference in quality of print. By the way the RR Polar Matte with the Epson and the RR profiles are very close to the Epson paper which gives another less expensive matte paper option.

I have been a loyal Canon user for decades, so was quite disappointed, but the Epson prints stunning prints. I'm hoping that the new design has fixed the clogging since that was the reason I moved from Epson (R1800) to start with.
--
http://www.pbase.com/gods_creation

Dale Garman's gear list:Dale Garman's gear list
Canon EOS 30D Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 70D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM +5 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow