Zeiss: We do not plan to make "me too" AF lenses ..

Started Jul 23, 2010 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Jozef M
Regular MemberPosts: 132Gear list
Like?
Zeiss: We do not plan to make "me too" AF lenses ..
Jul 23, 2010

Well, I asked why Zeiss didn't make AF lenses for EOS, and if they had plans to do so in the future ..
This is what they answered me, any thoughts on this subject?

" Thank you for your inquiry to Carl Zeiss. In reference to your inquiry from 2010-07-23:

To offer our customers different lenses for different applications than all other lens manufacturers, we will continue to concentrate on manual focus lenses for SLR cameras (e.g. with Canon EF mount). Of course, AF lenses offer some advantages in some situations (e.g. sports, press photography...). But for precise focusing of non-moving objects (e.g. landscape, architecture, stilllife photography...), our MF lenses offer the important difference to AF lenses of other manufacturers. Only MF lenses can be produced with absolutely no play and a long rotating focusing ring for most accurate focusing, e.g. in live view mode.

In professional cinematographic applications, AF does not play any role at all. And so also our current SLR lenses are highly requested for professional applications like aerial photography, industrial use, architectural photography and the new market of HDSLR cinematography.

We do not plan to make "me too" AF lenses like all other competitors.

Sincerely,
Bertram Hoenlinger "

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow