Started Jul 23, 2010 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Thatcherville
Forum MemberPosts: 62
Like?
D5000 - Minimum shutter speed
Jul 23, 2010

I take train pictures. They need both sharpness and depth of field. When a train is moving at 50 MPH, a fairly fast shutter speed is needed. The D5000’s minimum shutter speed setting, which is buried in the ISO sensitivity menu item, is very useful for me. I don’t necessarily want to “set” shutter speed or aperture—a faster shutter is better if the camera can do it without compromising DOF, and more DOF is better if the camera can do it without driving down the shutter speed too far or straying into diffraction territory. Ideally, I would like to be able to set a minimum shutter speed and f-stop, letting the camera use a better solution than the minimums if it can and letting ISO take the hit if it cannot. I can achieve the same thing in Aperture Priority (having set minimum shutter speed) by experimenting until I find the aperture that pushes ISO up too far. Most of the time, ISO begins to climb well before I start hitting diffraction limits.

Do other Nikon models have the minimum shutter speed setting? Do any of them have both minimum shutter speed and f-stop settings?

Below is an image that was taken with a shutter speed that was too slow to stop the action at the front of the lead locomotive. The train was doing close to 50 MPH.

Eatsbound Norfolk Southern train 38T at Silver Springs, NY. NS hauls this train for Canadian Pacific between Buffalo and Binghamton.

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow