A few travel questions (gear/baggage, storage)

Started Jul 21, 2010 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
SimonV
Regular MemberPosts: 182Gear list
Like?
A few travel questions (gear/baggage, storage)
Jul 21, 2010

Question number 1

I and two of my friends will be traveling to Japan for two weeks in autumn, and I have a problem with my camera bag, or more specifically my other bags. I use a LowePro Flipside 200 in which I carry a 7D + Canon 28-300, a 50mm 1.8 and a Tokina 11-16. This is all well and good, but I'd like to carry my other luggage in a bigger backpack. The camera backpack is going as my carry-on, and the other bag in the cargo hold. I'd like to avoid using classic luggage suit cases and other bags which have to be carried with handles, but carrying two backpacks sounds a bit tricky. I'm not switching from my Flipside backpack so the other luggage is the main problem here.

If anyone has tackled the same problem and have some tips, I'd be grateful.

Question number 2

I've got a few compact flash cards (1 + 4 + 4 + 8 +16gb), but they certainly won't be enough for even half the trip. I don't want to buy loads of additional cards since CF cards are somewhat expensive (and I don't need a crapload of them back home), so I thought I could do one of the following:

A. Buy a mini-laptop (abt 150 euros = 200 dollars) which supports Windows XP, then bring my external HD and use the laptop to get the shots from the CF card to the external HD. The laptop could be fun on the plane too :P.

B. Bring the external HD and use public computers to transfer the images to the HD. This could become tricky if public computers are hard to find, expensive to use, or unreliable (viruses/security) in Japan. I've never been before.

Any ideas from experience? Anyone used a minilaptop, do they detect usb devices (camera, external HD, memory card reader), can you watch video files without stuttering/other problems?

Thanks!

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow