70-300VR focuses past infinity - is that bad?

Started Jul 21, 2010 | Discussions thread
David Rosser
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,324Gear list
Like?
Re: 70-300VR focuses past infinity - is that bad?
In reply to Leonard Shepherd, Jul 21, 2010

Leonard Shepherd wrote:

One reason why most lenses focus beyond infinity is some distant landscape detail is sometimes low contrast and a poor AF target - capable of inducing mis focus.

With these targets manual focus can be more reliable. Being able to focus manually beyond infinity makes it easier to judge precise manual focus on distant detail.

Never have a problem focusing on infinity on any of my old Nikkors just bang the focusing against the infinity end stop, the lenses were collimated to be spot on at infinity focus at that posotion. The latest AF-S lenses all seem to allow focusing beyond infinity whereas my "screwdriver" 85mm has an infinity stop.

The question I have is on AF-S lenses that can focus beyond infinity, does the infinity mark on the scale actually indicate true infinity focus and where there are derth of field markings are these really usable?

-- hide signature --

Leonard Shepherd

Practicing and thinking can do more for good photography than buying or consuming.

David Rosser's gear list:David Rosser's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LC5 Fujifilm X20 Nikon D40 Nikon D700 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G +9 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow