Wireless Remote for GF1?

Started Jul 16, 2010 | Discussions thread
Tom K.
Senior MemberPosts: 1,545
Like?
Simpler to buy, rather than make
In reply to Godfrey, Jul 20, 2010

Godfrey wrote:

Sorry if I understated the difficulty. I've built things like this quite often, I was an assembly technician in the electronics field for a brief period once upon a time and learned all about making these kinds of devices.
--

And I didn't mean to overstate the difficulty - as circuits go it's pretty simple. But it's definitely more complicated than just soldering a couple of wires to a plug. By the time you hunt down the oddball plug and pay for it plus shipping, buy some resistors, find out and buy the appropriate mating plug for the PocketWizard (assuming you already have a PocketWizard, if not you have to add that expense and ordering time), figure out how it all needs to go together - well, by then you've spent enough money and time that it's just simpler to get the existing remote.

Before there were commercially available remotes for Panasonic cameras, I put together a couple of DIY wireless remotes for my FZ30. They worked fine, but it was a lot of time, work and expense compared to what you can buy off the shelf today. See the post below for my experience with building wireless remotes:
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1033&message=16247783

-- hide signature --

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow