ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
antoineb
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,089Gear list
Like?
EVILs: welcome evolution of DSLRs but not small enough
Jul 19, 2010

Pre-emptive apologies.

For quite some time I've been a strong advocate that as the DSLR design is obsolete in the digital age, well then it's great that we finally have a decent offering of EVIL cameras.

However until today I had not really played with any in the flesh.

Conclusion?

• I'm disappointed with the bulk / weight. Sure they're smaller than DSLRs but not that much smaller. So for a lot of uses I can still see myself preferring a more compact camera, sorry

• I'm disappointed at the controls. They're reasonably good on the GF1 (but an average DSLR has better controls still), they're disappointing on the E-PL, and they're quite poor on the NEX which compares quite unfavourably with advanced compacts in this respect

So what now?

• I guess my personal conclusion is that (1) I feel no urge to go EVIL anymore, (2) maybe this will change when I see an APS-C camera with a fairly compact say 3x zoom lens. Given an APS-C sensor it wouldn't need to be so "fast" apart from aesthetic ie DOF reasons?

Thoughts?

antoineb's gear list:antoineb's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ8 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ18 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS7 Olympus TG-610 Nikon D7000 +4 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow