Can you recommend a tripod with a vertical post that can be swung out horizontally?

Started Jul 18, 2010 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Stefan Carey
Contributing MemberPosts: 807
Like?
Can you recommend a tripod with a vertical post that can be swung out horizontally?
Jul 18, 2010

I am in the market for a solid tripod (for landscape and macro) for my birthday, but one with the option to move the center post to the horizontal. The vertical post would need to go up to about 1.7m, as I am about 6ft tall and do not want be stooping over. I would expect it has to support up to 1.2 g (Pentax K-m with Pentax 16-45 or Vivitar 105).

My current lightweight tripod is starting to irritate me.

I have looked at a Manfrotto with a trigger-grip head, but the price tag is AUD ~ $530 without a bag. This is twice what I was thinking I had to spend. (My expectations stem from a lack of product knowledge and therefore are not a comment about the product, which seems beautifully engineered)

Do I have other options in other brands? Especially for Australian customers?

BTW, yesterday I visited Kirk's in Ringwood Victoria, and was seriously impressed by their customer service. They also have a BIG new red 'Pentax' sign outside which will get a lot of attention, as this is one of Melbourne's major roads.

Many thanks

-- hide signature --

'Art is not for the cultivated taste. It is to cultivate taste.' (Nikki Giovanni)

http://www.stefancarey.zenfolio.com

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow