Started Jul 17, 2010 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
ELTY4
Regular MemberPosts: 141
Like?
45mm 2.8 - run to get it!!!
Jul 17, 2010

Here's my mini review on the 45mm 2.8. I've just got it and was looking forward to the weekend for some cloudy weather to test it out. Are you ready for it guys???

What do you say about a lens if you shoot portraits, not simply closeup head shots but portraits from waist up with 2 people (i was kneeling and had my 6 year old next to me) and you can see flecks of skin and razor burns on the face. It's that sharp. We think not even the 70-200 F4 IS canon can better it for sheer resolving capabilities. I think its got the qualities of the 135mm F2 canon - which is a legend.

My conclusion is that it's a very very sharp lens. There has been a few reviews saying its quite ordinary - maybe due to the price expectations are high. But i disagree - quality wise it truly delivers. The image stabilization also works well.

Oh yeah, by the way also - it's a very tiny lens too (it hardly weighs anything in the box, you'll think they left the lens out) and very easy to handle. The lens hood is also very attractive. While it's a 2x crop on the GF1, it doesn't make it a 90mm mid tele. It still performs like a 45mm ie. quite standard perspective because i couldn't really get those tele perspective compression on the backgound happening like you can if it was a true 90mm telephoto lens.

It's expensive but at least not that expensive that it cannot be seriously considered by most employed people. Importantly it does perform very very well.

I got it because there's currently not much good lens choice available for the micro 4/3 cameras. I don't like the zooms and their very dark aperture. I like primes and fast lenses.

The sales of the 45 will spike from now onwards. Run for it - i'm a sucker for a fast great prime!!!

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow