Need help with computer

Started Jul 9, 2010 | Discussions thread
Edvinas
Senior MemberPosts: 2,807Gear list
Like?
Re: Need help with computer
In reply to sweetsonic, Jul 15, 2010

sweetsonic wrote:

So going back to the OP, do you think that a new core duo iMac could handle the application workload he's talking about or would you have to get an i5/i7 processor for the iMac?

I think that current iMac line is outdated and only iMacs with i5/i7 processors are really worth to buy. 27" iMac with i5 CPU outperforms 27" iMac with Core 2 Duo almost twice: Geekbench 8237 vs. 4212.

I'm also shopping for a new comp, but I know I want an iMac, I'm just not sure which one. I'd prefer to go as cheap as possible without losing too much performance (and 27 inch screen is a must). Will I have issues running LR and PS on the dual-core rather than the quad-core? Right now I do minor work in PS on a dual core Windows 7 machine, but I'd like some room to grow. I do music production with Logic too. I already love everything about the Mac, just want to be able to run my software efficiently on it.

You will not get performance improvement by getting same specced Mac instead of Windows machine. Mac OS X is not faster than Windows 7 by itself, and Apple computers are not faster than other manufacturers computers by themselves. It's all about CPU/GPU they use in their computers.

So, the bottom line is: if you want to see significant performance improvement, get iMac with i5 or i7 CPU. Core 2 Duo models won't give you performance jump over your current Core 2 Duo system.

-- hide signature --

Edvinas

Edvinas's gear list:Edvinas's gear list
Nikon D3S Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Nikon AF Nikkor 105mm f/2D DC +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow