Started Jul 14, 2010 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
rodneyb
Regular MemberPosts: 118
Like?
My Experiences (and pics) with D700 in Southwest/Four Corner area
Jul 14, 2010

Got some good feedback on this forum before I went on my big trip this summer, and thought I'd share the results now that I'm back. This was my first time traveling for more than a long weekend with my D700 since I updated from the D300, and it performed like the champ I expected.

The only disappointment with equipment on this trip was with the used 18-35mm I'd bought off craigslist. I found myself going ultra-wide more than I normally do, and the lens really showed its flaws, especially bad flaring. I will likely move to 16-35 or 14-24 at some point as finances permit.

Also, since I shot at f/11 so much, I would have loved some lighter options than my f/2.8 glass. I ended up with a slipped disc in my back from the trip. I normally work out of my Domke F-2 bag, but 2 weeks of carrying D700, 24-70, 70-200 and 18-35 was just too much on a shoulder. I'm looking into getting a ThinkTank Skin system next time. (I switched to my Kata R-103 for the last few days of the trip, and at least it saved my back from getting worse, but I can't really work out of a pack. I'd set it down to change lenses and get stuff dusty. I spent about 8 hrs removing dust spots from pics since I've been home). If Nikon comes out with something like Canon's 24-105 f/4, I am first in line. And I will be looking for a used 70-300mm VR for times when I don't need the speed of my 70-200.

I've been slowly making my way around the Four Corners/Grand Circle area over the last decade, and finally completed the loop with New Mexico and Southwestern Colorado being new this time (plus revisited Moab and Monument Valley). My cameras and photographic skills have improved dramatically during this time from a film Nikon N70 to a Sony F717 to Nikon D70-> D300 and now to D700.

Most pics in the gallery are from this trip, with a handful of older ones from the earlier trips (see EXIF data if interested). All the ones posted here are from this trip:
Gallery:
http://rodneyboles.zenfolio.com/swusa

And here are some to sample:

Thanks for looking!
--
http://rodneyboles.zenfolio.com

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow