Started Jul 12, 2010 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
bigkidneys
Forum MemberPosts: 54
Like?
Newbie dilemma over Canon 100mm F2 or 135mm F2
Jul 12, 2010

As stated, I am a complete noob and was hoping for some advice to sway me in the right direction. I currently have the following: 5D mkii, 50mm 1.8, 24-105L, 70-200mm F4. I am realizing really quickly that I prefer shooting primes as it is much easier for me to understand composition since the FL is fixed. My main concern for my next lens is wanting a prime that I can take portraits of my family as well as shoot sports as both my girls do soccer, gymnastics, and swimming. I have been researching both the 100 F2 and 135 F2 and find myself on the fence. Both are rated very highly for image quality and of course the 100mm is much cheaper. I am not worried so much about the cost but of course, the 100mm would give me enough $$ left over to purchase a 580exII which I currently don't have a flash and think I will eventually need one. On the other hand, the 135mm would also be a great portrait lens although it is super sharp and will reveal facial flaws just the same as the 100mm but coupled with a 1.4 TC, would give me a great indoor 189mm 2.8 lens for swimming and gymnastics lens. All that being said, which makes the most sense to those who are in the know? Any help and insight would be greatly appreciated

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow