So you want to be a photographer.

Started Jun 29, 2010 | Discussions thread
ErikaRuth
Regular MemberPosts: 123
Like?
A poster who "is" what the OP is talking about. (and he's wrong)
In reply to R Neihi, Jul 10, 2010

Okay, I am going to dive in.

I got my first SLR when I was 11 (1989), was handed a roll of B&W film, and went out shooting. Of course I made a lot of bad images. But, I also learned a lot about shutter speed, and DOF. I kept shooting fully manual all throughout high school. I took every photo class available, until I got to college. Could not stand the photo teacher at my college, so I switched to going "Pro" Worked photo services, shot head shots for faculty, covered events, was photo editor of the school newspaper, won awards, had 36 photographers working for me (casual shooters earing $5-7 an assignment). I developed all my own film, rolled my own film and that for the entire school, to be honest. I even worked as an intern in the in house graphic design department at a hospital (They had their own print shop). I was the hospital "Photographer" that summer.

My point. I quit when I discovered how little journalism paid for how hard they worked. I "hung up" my camera when I graduated from college, and JUST got my first DSLR 3 months ago.

Picking up the DSLR (T1i), for the first time, it had a pretty steep learning curve. Honestly, far harder than my old SLRs The light meter was harder to read, the little red dot for focus? What happened to the split screen? or the other obvious focus indicators. Really really annoying. The nobs and dials were a lot harder to navigate. I stumbled A LOT and I knew how to handle a camera.

But, what I have noticed is, I'm not afraid to "burn" memories (as my kids call digital images) I can create as many "memories" as I want. I have the freedom to instantly see what I've done wrong, and correct it with the next shot. I can instantly change my ISO without switching camera bodies, or wasting film. When I started I was using shutter priority or aperture priority, but I've already grown past that. I'm at a point now that I'm using fully manual with fixed ISO. Now, I'm still using auto focus, but sometimes, I really wish it was simpler and easier to go manual focus, but I'll get that.

I feel that I've improved far more rapidly with my DSLR shooting 11000 images in a few months than I ever did before reading, practicing, having assignments, developing, and discovering my mistakes when removed from the situation.

So, I guess I have to beg to differ with the OP. Handing me a manual camera with film would really be a regression. Now, I could do it, and surprise the OP with my skills, but the point is for me to learn and develop as a photographer, and a modern DSLR gives me a far better chance to learn from each and every shot I take at a much more rapid rate.

And, I'm just a hobbyist with no real desire to be a "pro"

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
OMG!New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow