Has anyone seen/used Kipon tilt adapter?

Started Jun 2, 2010 | Discussions thread
Ross Alford
Regular MemberPosts: 319Gear list
Like?
Re: Has anyone seen/used Kipon tilt adapter?
In reply to JC999, Jul 10, 2010

jC999 wrote:

Just wondering if you got the Kipon and if so how you like it. Thanks for any info!

Finally received it. I strongly suspect the seller listed it before they received stock, they took about 10 days after I bought-it-now to ship, and then it took a couple of weeks to arrive, but at least they kept in contact and were very apologetic about the delay. The quality seems high, fits well and smoothly at both the camera and lens mounting ends. The tilt mechanism works fine, you loosen a collar and the lens will swivel and tilt in any direction with up to 8 degrees of tilt. You then tighten the collar and use a couple of locking screws to make sure it does not loosen unexpectedly.

There is no calibration of any sort, so you adjust it purely by looking at the effect on the screen or in the finder, and getting it precisely to the zero position is a matter of judgement, though I think you can get very close by eyeballing the position from the side, probably close enough.

I bought it mostly to try out in manipulating depth of field in macro shots; you can get the effect of a substantial increase in some shots depending on the subject, angle, etc. It works reasonably well for this, though a few more degrees of tilt would make it even more useful; I suppose that just is not possible given the mechanical constraints of the design. I haven't used it for the opposite, "diorama" effect, but I'm sure it would work.

It allows focus to (and past, slightly, I suspect) infinity with the lenses I've tried it with.
--
Ross Alford
http://www.pbase.com/northqueenslandphotos

Ross Alford's gear list:Ross Alford's gear list
Nikon D800E Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow