Started Jul 9, 2010 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Backdoctor
Forum ProPosts: 13,900
Like?
Need some input on new computer
Jul 9, 2010

One of my PC's in my office took a dump, and I am thinking of taking my Dell Pentium 4 with 3 gigs ram from home to office to replace it. Its just a workstation so that will do fine.

Now what to get? I have about $600 in gift cards at Best Buy, and was thinking of a 27" Imac, the one with Core Duo 2 processor, 4 gigs ram, 1tb HD and 256mg video memory. I would prefer the i5 processor one with 512mb ram, but its not available. This would mean getting a copy of windows to load so I can run my windows based programs.

The alternatives are a Dell Studio XPS desktop with i5 processor, 8 gigs ram, 1tb HD, 1gb video memory, but no Blue Ray or HDMI. various HP machines, i5 or i7 with similar configurations, but with blu ray and HDMI. There is also gateway and lenovo

My best friend is a staunch Dell man. He did IT for a bit , but is now an independant oracle consultant. He says they are better machines. The machine I have now I got due to him. When 4 months old both HD's went, they replaced them, but motherboard also was defective. Took 15 HOURS on phone with india to get anything done. Maybe that was a fluke?

So as they ALL use mostly the same components, is ony one brand REALLY better than the other or does it come down to customer service. I would like honest information on this. You seem to get more from HP for the dollar, and when I have had problems with HP stuff in the past they seem to handle it well.

thanks
--
Harris

PBase/DPReview/NTF supporter
Egret Stalker #4, WSSA #29

http://www.pbase.com/backdoctor

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow