Started Jul 9, 2010 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Alfisti
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,649
Like?
Four years, three cameras and still fighting AF reliability
Jul 9, 2010

Four years ago I bought a K100D, kit lenses and an FA50/1.4, I was a happy chappy and new to the DSLR world as many of us were at the time. To cut a long story short, it took me three to six infuriating months to figure out that under incandescent light the cameras AF system goes a little bonkers and despite just dropping $1500 on the set up, I could not trust the AF indoors under said lighting.

I worked around it for a time, went on a long holiday in 08 and mostly caught keepers with my 12-24, 18-250 and 77 ltd. I also bought an FA35/2 that was razor sharp.

Decided to upgrade to a 20D, amongst other reasons for the ability to set AF bias for individual lenses … excellent I thought. I was never really happy with the lack of consistency using the 77 and the 35, well I never once took a decent image with the 35.

I just got my hands on a K7, I have a few issues with the thing such as a very washed out LCD screen (is it just me??) and slow write times to my SD card (again is it just me???), but overall quite pleased with the smaller unit.

Again though, I cannot for the LIFE of me take a half decent image with the FA35. So I grab the 77 and the same thing, after two full days of futsing around is appears the camera is severely back focusing with both lenses, even outdoors.

On paper this should not be an issue as I can just adjust the AF bias. Thing is, it’s the sheer inconsistency that drives me ABSOLUTELY AND TOTALLY INSANE. I’ll aim at one object and it’s bang on, the next and it’s FF, the next and it’s back focused …… short distances it FF, long it BF ….. it’s a complete and utter crap shoot to be totally honest.

I am in the process of determining if it’s just FA lenses but my DA lenses are slow so it’s hard to tell.

Not really sure why I wrote this diatribe, I mean pentax really suit me with the smaller form factor and nice to hold FA primes but dear me, I can only take so much of this. The 77 retails for some $1k and I cannot rely on the camera to nail focus at all.

Four years later and still disappointed.

-- hide signature --

Please visit my gallery at http://alfisti.zenfolio.com/
Pentax Lens examples at http://alfisti.zenfolio.com/f180797611

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow