Looking for a bit more wideangle on my D90....Tokina perhaps?

Started Jul 9, 2010 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
bertiewooster
Junior MemberPosts: 33
Like?
Looking for a bit more wideangle on my D90....Tokina perhaps?
Jul 9, 2010

I'm using a D90 with the AFS 35mm F1.8 lens most of the time - it's great for indoor shots in museums and the narrow depth of field for still life.

Now I'm shooting outside I only wish it was a more wideangle for those landscape pics.

I've done some research on the internet and with my budget I see the Tokina 12-24mm f/4 AT-X 124 AF PRO DX as an option. Reviews seem to be generally very good and it's not a bad price (I wouldn't need the mark II version since the first one will auto focus on my D90 I believe). Also, the range on a cropped sensor camera like my D90 would be pretty good for me, giving me the option of taking landscapes and even 'normal' pics at the 24mm (36mm) length.

My questions are:

1. Is the image quality anywhere near that of the AFS 35mm F1.8? I guess I've been spoilt with this (I also have the AF 50mm F1.8D). I don't intend to have gigantic prints but is there a big difference in IQ?

2. I can go for the 11-16mm F2.8 Tokina at a push - is this noticeably better than the 12-24mm or are we talking about small inprovements in IQ? The range might be a little limiting with the 11-16mm, but if it was defintely better in IQ I would go for it.

3. Any other lenses in the £400 - £500 range that would be a good alternative?

I don't need an UW lens - just the wider angle....something equivalent to 24-30mm at the shortest end would be fine.

Thanks for any help/advice!

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow