Started Jul 8, 2010 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Kyledoo
Forum MemberPosts: 70
Like?
Dive into Canon or Nikon?
Jul 8, 2010

I have posted in the Nikon forum here before regarding a decision about a D90 vs D5000. Basically now what happened is the D90 is out of reach and the D5000 is due to situations that came up with me AND the fact that the D90 has shot up in price. Background info:
I currently own a Nikon film SLR and 2 low end lenses.

they are a 28-80mm that would not be useful on my new digital SLR because of lack of wide angle and no focus motor.

Also I have a 70-300mm junk lens (it is a nikkor, but is considered one of the worst modern lenses they have made) it will need to be replaced anyway most likely, but at least I would have it to start out(I would need to manually focus though).

Now the really hard part. If I buy refurbished I can get the T1i for only around $40 more than the d5000, putting it barely in reach of my budget. Everything about this camera except maybe the ISO performance seems superior to the Nikon. I have felt both cameras in my hand before and I will admit I liked the Nikon a little more, to me it felt a little more solid and had a more expensive feel than the canon. However, my best experience with point and shoots in the past has been with canon. The images have always been better from our cannon point and shoots vs. other manufactuers. I have not, however, used any Nikons, and the canons I had were high end $300+ models.

I will want to add a telephoto lens to either system most likely because I will want auto focus. I think the Nikon 55-200 VR and the canon 55-250 IS are around the same price so that difference is negligible after another few months when I get that lens. Also, I would probably want to add a fast prime, and the Canon version is half the price of the cheapest nikon(the 50mm canon and 35mm Nikon)

If anyone on here has any experience with both cameras could you tell me which you like better? I know technically cannon wins, however I would like some feedback. I have read pleanty of threads about this and just can't decide.

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow