Started Jul 5, 2010 | Discussions thread
NowHearThis
Senior MemberPosts: 2,086Gear list
Like?
Re: eos550+15-85 -> travel?
In reply to Meuli, Jul 7, 2010

Meuli wrote:

hello

at the end of september i'll be going on holiday to argentina and brazil for couple of weeks.
I travel frequently and i'm sick of my compact camera.
So i've made up my mind and will be buying a dslr (EOS550D aka rebel t2i).
I was wondering if a 15-85 usm is would be a nice travel lens?

Yes. I own this combo and took it on an 8 day trip to Oregon & Washington. The range of the lens was perfect for me. I really didn't miss having a long telephoto. Granted I know I could have found use for one.

I prefer buying quality glass instead of the kit lenses, the kit with 18-55 and 55-200 has a nice range, but obviously they aren't exactly suberb.

They aren't miserable, and actually their sharpness is quite good. On trying to decide what lenses to get, I found the IQ of the 15-85 IS to be better - good enough IMO, to justify spending about $700 more to have it. Contrast, Sharpness, lower CAs, ... all better on the 15-85.

Also they seem to be a pain in the ass when i comes to using filters (and i can see a cp being usefull around the equator emoticon - wink.

I used a C-PL on many of my shots, 99% of my shots were taken outdoors, many of those I had a C-PL on my lens. It made all the difference in those shots.

When i have some more money i'll consider buying a 70-200 is (probably f4)

any thoughts on this would be appreciated?

I for one think this is a nice kit, you could even add the 55-250 IS too it as well, since it's small and light.

-- hide signature --

NHT
while ( ! ( succeed = try() ) );

NowHearThis's gear list:NowHearThis's gear list
Sony SLT-A65 Sony 85mm F2.8 SAM Sony DT 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 SAM
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow