Started Jul 6, 2010 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
gravediggingaditch
New MemberPosts: 7
Like?
Help Me Get Started Right - W.W.YOU.D?
Jul 6, 2010

And for my first (third) post - the typical - WWJD question?

Thanks in advance for sharing your knowledge and assistance.

I've been scowering these forums for a while now. Doing as much research as I can before taking the plunge and I think I've really narrowed down my selections to a good frame. I'm open to thoughts, before i make the official plunge.

About me: 29 year old business professional. This will be a hobby - another one to the several that already take up my time. For a good time of my younger life, i was very into photography. Film and digital P&S, carrying the digi around with me everywhere - always the obnoxious one snapping away and getting yelled at only to be asked the next day if i could send the photos over. My girlfriend has a head start on the dslr ave. I've been thinking about it for a long time and am finally ready to take the plunge.

Why now? Because in November, I am going to South Africa for 2 weeks. With this in mind, I have been shopping for some time. I am now ready to pull the trigger as I am heading out to Napa, Ca at the end of the month and figure this would be a ripe opportunity to begin rekindling the skills (that i thought i had).

Budget: I really want to get the most out of the Safari trip and am prepared to commit around $3,000.00 in photo tools to do it. I've toyed with the idea of the Mark or 7D but both of those leave my lens options very limited.

So, here is where my analysis and investigation has led me:
NOTE: My girlfriend has a Canon XsI w/ 18-55 mm kit lens and EF-S 18-135mm

My Investment presumes that these will remain viable lens options for me if we go on a trip:
1) Canon T2I (FRAME ONLY)

2) Wide-Angle Lens -
EF-S 10-22 mm f/3.5-4.5 USM ($700)(50 rebate) vs.
EF 17-40m f/4L USM ($700) –

I initially started thinking EF-S 10-22 but have started to re-think 17-40 simply because if i upgrade the frame in 2 years, i will have that L in the arsenal. Otherwise, the girlfriend will gets to keep the 10-22. Admittedly, I've read and seen great things with it and the Smaller sensors . . . .

3) Safari Special -
70-200 mm f/4L IS USM ($1349) ($80 rebate) VS.
70-200 mm f/2.8L USM ($1449.00) VS
70-200 mm f/2.8L IS USM ($1800)

I'm really jammed on this decision and can't make my mind up. I know the benefits on the selections of the 2.8 and the IS . . . which makes me come back to considering the 2.8L IS, but is is worth the money? Do i really need it? Am i going to be upset that I didn't get the 100-400 f/4.5-5.6L for the trip?

I could consider contemplating scenarios but will leave it open for reader input and suggestions.

MAX TOTAL w/ 2.8L IS : $3300.

Slightly more than i want to be, but do-able if the recommendations all come in pouring towards that.

Other issues I'm hopeful for input on: Am i doing a substantial disservice to myself by NOT getting a 7D with different lenses? Other combinations are greatly welcome. I am eagar to pull the trigger so i can start getting out in the field and snapping away. I obviously want to be very comfortable with the tools before the trip in a few months.

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Adam

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow