Are you a proffesional DANCE photographer?

Started Jul 6, 2010 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Waimak Stud
Senior MemberPosts: 1,133
Like?
Are you a proffesional DANCE photographer?
Jul 6, 2010

Because I've decided that's what I want to be. I read an interview from a famous band photographer whose advice for an amateur wanting to go pro was "Choose a specialty and focus on it early, because there's a lot of competition out there" and I realized I LOVE dance, but can't do it (except for a bit of ballroom and latin) however I also LOVE photography, and I CAN do that! Let's put it together!

The shapes and fold that the body can create inspires and moves me. Often I find that well choreographed dance can create profound emotions within me. I want to be a part of that.

So if you have experience, where should I start? Specifically, I'm thinking what kind of equipment would I need to get started? I'm thinking of getting experience by doing things like offering free (or cheap) promotional photography to local dance schools, and maybe some promo shots for the dance kids at the High School where I teach. And I'm sure there's plenty of dance mums who would love a shot of their precious on pointe. I'm not planing to go for the big D3 and the 70-200 2.8 until I'm well along my way, but for the begining what do I need? I have a D90, Tamron 17-50 2.8 a 50mm 1.8 and a 55-200 kit, and I was planning to go for a Tokina 50-135 f2.8 for pro build and portrait focal length with great sharpness, but now that I have found this calling I'm not sure if that lens (without a focus motor) would be fast enough for moving subjects. I like the 50-135 (70-200equiv) on DX, and feel like the 70-200 range would be too long. True? Are primes better for this purpose, being faster? Or is it too inconvenient to have fixed focal length when you can't move much physically? Would the sigma 50-150 2.8 be better, or am I completely barking up the wrong poplar?

Is there a dance Photographer who can help me out here? Inspire me せんぱい!
--
http://dailybento.webs.com/

Hmmm, what shall I do in my signature? Outline the scores of lenses and camera bodies I have to make people think I'm a better photographer? Or maybe some inciteful pearl of wisdom from some revered and oft quoted dead photographer so that people know I'm well read on the topic?
Decisions decisions, maybe I'll just leave it blank.

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow