No Mirror in a DSLR

Started Oct 24, 2008 | Discussions thread
Alamarian
Regular MemberPosts: 110
Like?
Re: No Mirror in a DSLR
In reply to Big_Ronnie, Jul 5, 2010

I'm not a fan of "live view." I can see the application of an articulated live view screen (e.g. putting a camera on a tripod at waist height and being able to see the screen while standing) but it has disadvantages that I can't deal with if it's the only option.

-Lag. Attempting to equate this to the time it takes to flip up the mirror is silly. It's not even close. Someday it might approach the speed of a DSLR, with faster processors. Right now, it's unacceptable for my uses (sports, photojournalism).

-Hard to see. Exterior screens fall to bits in any kind of challenging lighting. You could put one inside an eyepiece, which would solve that problem.

-Uncomfortable. Exterior screens are uncomfortable to handhold, for me. It feels awkward, no matter how many times I do it. That might be because I've used the eyepiece for so long. Eyepiece LCDs would help with that.

-Contrast detection. It's getting better but contrast based autofocus won't cut it for some things. If the speed were fast enough, it could be better than phase detection but it's naturally slower. A phase detection system "knows" whether the camera is front or back focused; a contrast detection system does not. At the maximum number of steps, the camera has to move the wrong way, towards perfect focus, beyond perfect focus, then back to correct focus. Try it for sports, I promise not to laugh.

Until those are fixed, I could never use a mirrorless camera and certainly don't care for those wee little things they are trying to make now. I hate small cameras for actual use.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow